Academic Advising in the College of Arts and Science
The Undergraduate Student Office is committed to doing its part to protect our community in response to public health concerns related to COVID-19. At this time, staff and advisors continue to work remotely to deliver services. They are available to answer your questions via phone, email and WebEx.
To schedule an appointment with an academic advisor you can book an appointment online. You can also visit our A&S Undergraduate Student Service Desk if you have any questions or need to submit a request form.
The Undergraduate Student Office is committed to providing support to all of our students during this rapidly changing time and we appreciate your patience as we navigate this with you.
Welcome to the Undergraduate Student Office!
The Undergraduate Student Office (UGSO) in the College of Arts and Science is a place where undergraduate students can schedule an appointment to meet with an academic advisor.
It’s a great idea to meet with an academic advisor once a year throughout your studies, or anytime you have questions or concerns about your academic planning or progress.
Advisors act as coaches, mentors and advocates for students throughout their academic studies. They take a "holistic" approach, which means they not only assist students with their academic needs, but also connect students with on-campus and off-campus supports so their personal, educational and health-related needs are considered.
- choosing a major and choosing courses
- confirmation of program and degree requirements
- clarification of academic policies and procedures
- academic appeals, deferred exam requests, graduation checks
- visiting student requests, second degree requirements
- inquiries about "required to discontinue" notices and probation status
- discussion of confirmed transfer credits
- strategies for applying to other colleges
- academic strategies to strengthen grades
- targeted supports for students in the University Transition Program
- targeted supports for Indigenous students
- targeted supports for international students
- and much more! Bring your questions and we’ll find the answers!
The UGSO is located in the Arts Building in room 265. Academic advisors also work in the Trish Monture Centre for Student Success (TMC) in Arts 248 and Arts 250 at the top of the Arts Ramp.
Academic advisors in the TMC offer targeted supports for Indigenous students, including students registered in Indigenous Student Achievement Pathways (ISAP).
The TMC is also home to the University Transition Program (UTRAN), where academic coaches guide students through this first year program.