- Post-secondary STEM Access
- Hands-on and Experiential Pedagogies
- Multi-vocal STEM Education
- Interdisciplinary Literacies
- Earth & Atmospheric Sciences / Geology
- Creative Writing / Literary Arts
- Visual Arts
Books & Book Chapters
Bonny, S. 2020. Approaching a Turn; Indigenous Access, Equity, and Belonging in Post-Secondary STEM Spaces, in S’TEṈISTOLW̱: Moving forward in Indigenous higher Education, Ormiston, N.T., Green, K.J. and Aguirre, K. Eds., J. Charlton Publishing, Vernon, B.C.
Bonny, S. & Jones, B. 2005. Barite tufa from Flybye Springs, Northwest Territories, Canada. in TRAVERTINE, Ozkul, M., Yagiz, S. & Jones, B. Eds., Kozan Ofset Matbaacilik San. Ve Tic. Ltd. Sti. Ankara, Turkey.
- Bonny, S. 2018. Effective STEM outreach programming for Indigenous community contexts — getting it right, one community at a time! International Journal of Innovation in Science and Mathematics Education, 26 (2): 14-34.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2008. Experimental precipitation of barite (BaSO4) among streamers of sulphur oxidizing bacteria. Journal of Sedimentary Geology 78 (5): 357-365.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2008. Controls on the precipitation of barite crystals in calcite travertine at Twitya Spring. Sedimentary Geology 203 (1-2): 36-53.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2008. Petrography and textural development of inorganic and biogenic lithotypes in a relict barite (BaSO4) tufa deposit at Flybye Springs, Northwest Territories, Canada. Sedimentology 55 (2): 275-303.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2007. Barite (BaSO4) biomineralisation at Flybye Springs, a cold sulphur spring system in Canada’s Northwest Territories. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences. 44: 835-856.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2007. Diatom-mediated barite precipitation in microbial mats calcifying at Stinking Springs, a warm sulphur spring system in Northwestern Utah, USA. Sedimentary Geology, 194: 223-244.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2003. Relict Tufa at Miette Hot Springs, Jasper National Park, Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences, 40: 1459-1481.
- Bonny, S. and Jones, B. 2003. Microbes and Mineral Precipitation at Miette Hot Springs, Jasper National Park, Canada. Canadian Journal of Earth Sciences 40: 1483-1500
- Science360 Podcast with Tim Stephenson (2022): Episode 60; "Teaching to the Human Storied Brain" with Sandy Bonny. https://teachbetter.com/science-360-podcast/stories/
Books & Anthologies
- Yes, and Back Again (2015), S. Bonny, Thistledown Press, Saskatoon, SK; novel. ISBN: 978-1-77187-052-8
- The Sometimes Lake (2012), S. Bonny, Thistledown Press, Saskatoon, SK; collected short stories. ISBN: 978-1-897235-99-7
- Carys, Nogha & Sense (2011), in Coming Attractions 11, M.A. Jarman, Ed., Oberon Press, Ottawa, ON. ISBN: 978 0 7780 1371 6
- Frames (2008), in The Shape of Content: An Anthology of Creative Writing in Mathematics and Science, C. Davis, M.W. Senechal and J. Zwicky, Eds., A.K. Peters Publishing, Mass. USA, p. 25-26. ISBN-13: 978-1568814445
- “Carys.” EVENT Magazine, 40.2. 2011. 8 p.
- “Nogha.” Prairiefire, 30.4. 2010. 12 p.
- “The Jasmine Springs Road.” The Danforth Review 24. 2008. 9 p.
- “A live flame will start.” Grain Magazine 32.3. 2005. 3 p.
- “Safrasi’s.” Spring [Regina, SK], v. 3. 2003. 6 p.
- “mandala.” enRoute Magazine. May 2002. 8 p.
- “mandala.” Abridged radio transcript; aired on Richardson’s Roundup and Between the Covers, CBC RadioOne, April 2002
- Website: Saskatchewan Cradleboard Initiative (est. 2014) an online K-8 STEM teaching resource
- Literary journal: Windscript 30 (2014) youth creative writing anthology published by the Saskatchewan Writers’ Guild; Edited with a foreword by S. Bonny (poetry & prose)
- Literary journal: Spring; emerging writers of Saskatchewan (2013) Edited by S. Bonny (fiction and creative non-fiction) & G. Harding-Russell (poetry), volume 8
- Book-length manuscript: Through White Noise: Autonarrative Exploration of Racism, Discrimination, and the Doorways to Academic Citizenship in Canada (2012), Khalida Tanvir Syed, Sense Publishers, Rotterdam, Netherlands, 146 p.
INVITED PRESENTATIONS / WORKSHOPS
- Bonny, S. (May 2022) Storied Canopies, invited talk to celebrate Arbor Week, ReMai Modern and SOS Trees Coalition, Saskatoon
- Bonny, S. (March 2022) Examining the STEM Equity Gap in Saskatchewan, USASK Education Students Society PD Series, University of Saskatchewan.
- van de Velde, M., Sawatzky, K. and Bonny, S. (October 2021). Implicit and Assumed Skillsets: exploring strategies to support Indigenous students and mature learners in post-secondary STEM programs. Advisor-Con; Advision Association of Saskatchewan, Zoom.
- Bonny, S., Bitsuie, A. and Pratt, D. (February 2021). Indigenous STEM Pathways Start in YOUR Classroom, USASK Education Students Society PD Series, University of Saskatchewan, WebEx.
- Bonny, S. (February 2020). Indigenous Perspectives in STEM; a multi-vocal approach to hands on inquiry learning, USASK Education STudents Society PD Series, University of Saskatchewna.
- Bonny, S. (April, 2018) Advising cohort-based programs, Beyond Surviving: Thriving as Advisors, Advisor’s conference University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK.
- Indigenizing STEM Curricula Discussion Leader, Course Design Institute Workshop on Course Indigenization, Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching (S. Calvez; May 2017)
- Learning in Partnership; First Nations Administrators’ Short Course, Think Indigenous Education Conference 2017/EADM 984.3 TIEC Conference Course (C. Scribe; March, 2017)
- How does Indigenous Knowledge Contribute to the Future? Multi-disciplinary panel discussion; Aboriginal Student Achievement Program, Learning Communities (ASAP; November, 2016)
- Community engaged STEM learning; ECUR 246.3 Secondary Science Methods (T. Molnar; September, 2016)
- Ways of Knowing in Science; ITEP ECUR 309.3 Literacies of Knowing (C. Gillies; February, 2015)
- Cultural Perspectives on Mistassini, panel discussion; Operation Big Rock, Dancing Sky Theatre (J. Bernbaum; April 2014)
- Narrative and Argumentation in Western Science; NS 241.3 Indigenous Science (J. Baker; May, 2014)
- Collaborative Learning and Culturally-responsive Curricula; NS 298.3 Indigenous Music; Revitalization, Reclamation and Resistance (L. Knight, September 2013)
- Bonny, S. (February 2020). Takeaways from an IVLP Exchange Program: Models to increase STEM diversity across community, secondary, and post-secondary education. E-kitocik; 3rd annual National Gathering of the Canadian Indigenous Science and Engineering Society, Saskatoon, SK.
- Bonny, S. & McBeth, J. (May 2019). Examining Assessment Equity: Connecting MCQ Assessment to Experiential Learning Outcomes. Experience Learning; 15th Annual UBC Okanagan Learning Conference, Kelowna, BC.
- Bonny, S., Merasty, M. & Ducette-Garr, J. (March 2019) Navigating Motivation and Supporting Persistence in Post-Secondary STEM. TEWATSENTÓNTHO - We Add More Wood to the Fire; 2nd Annual .caISES Gathering, Montreal, QC.
- Bonny, S. (May 2018) STEM Pathways and First-Year Gates; Supporting Indigenous Student Success in Post-secondary STEM Programs. CSC 2018, the 101st Canadian Chemistry Conference and Exhibition, Edmonton, AB
- Bonny, S. (May 2018) Building STEM Pathways in the Aboriginal Student Achievement Program… Everybody In! Teaching & Learning Today Conference, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. & Tuttreon, A. (March, 2018) Indigenous Perspectives in STEM; Paving Post-Secondary Pathways. Think Indigenous Conference, Indian Teacher Education Program, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (February 2018) Reconciliation in STEM; K-12 and Post-secondary Perspectives. .caISES Gathering 2018; MAANOMATTAPOYAH: First Steps, Calgary, AB
- Bonny, S. & Bidwell, K. (October, 2017) K-12 STEM Transitions; Building Effective Pathways to Indigenous Participation in STEM. SACNAS: The National Diversity in STEM Conference, SACNAS2017, Salt Lake City, UT.
- Bonny, S. (August, 2017) Access vs. Accessibility - Indigenous Participation in Post-Secondary STEM Programs. S’TEṈISTOLW̱ 2017 – Indigenous Adult Education Conference, Camosun College, Victoria, BC
- Bonny, S. & Harper, V. (March 2017) Pathways to Post-secondary Science – Setting Students up for Success! Think Indigenous Conference, Indian Teacher Education Program, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (April 2016) Geopoetic Discovery and the Narratives of Earth Science. Yukon Science Institute, Whitehorse, YT
- Bonny, S. (September 2015) Fostering Collaborative Learning through Community-based STEM Outreach: Insights from the University of Saskatchewan’s Science Ambassador Program. STEMfest 2015; 2nd International Festival of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, Education Stream ‘Skilling a Nation’, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. & Dmytryshyn, K. (May 2015) The Saskatchewan Cradleboard Initiative; multi-vocal science makes sense! ScieMatics 2015, Saskatchewan Science Teachers´ Society, Regina, SK
- Bonny, S. (March 2015) Saskatchewan Cradleboard Initiative, multi-vocal science resources and activities. Think Indigenous, Indian Teacher Education Program, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. & Datta, R. (September 2014) Community-based science outreach as a site of collaborative cross-cultural learning. Whahtokowin; Indigenizing Practice in Post-secondary Education, Linking Kindred Spirits, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (September 2014) The Saskatchewan Cradleboard Initiative – a progress report on the development of multi-vocal K-8 STEM resources through University-led experiential learning projects. Whahtokowin; Indigenizing Practice in Post-secondary Education, Linking Kindred Spirits, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (July 2014) Kiskiaumatowin (two-way learning) in support of multi-vocal science curricula. STEM 2014 Our Planet; Making Connections across Contexts, College of Education, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- Bonny, S. (May 2014) Multi-vocal science resources developed through two-way learning, presentation and activities workshop, AWASIS Aboriginal Education Conference, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (March 2014) Saskatchewan Cradleboard Initiative, multi-vocal science unit workshop, Education Students Society Workshop Series, College of Education, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (November 2013) Creative Readings in Math & Science, Banff International Research Centre/Banff Centre for the Arts, Banff, AB
- Bonny, S. (June 2013) Two-way learning: The Science Ambassador Program, Native American and Indigenous Studies Association Conference, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (March 2012) Science-Fiction Intersections, Coordinates of Comparison—Conference of Comparative Literature, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- Bonny, S. (September 2011) ‘What is Story?’ Writer’s Forum, Bedford Road Collegiate Institute, Saskatoon, SK
- Bonny, S. (July, 2007) Textural convergence in chemical sediments: carbonate travertine lithotypes in barite from Flybye Springs, NWT, Canada. Bathurst Conference 13, University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK
- Bonny, S. (October 2006) Barite Tufa at Flybye Springs, NWT, Canada. 1st International Travertine Symposium, Pamukkale University, Denizli, Turkey
Teaching & Supervision
- INTS 102: Studying Science, Essential Skills & Strategies for Success
- INTS 100: Learning to Learn, Skills for Academic Success
- GEOL 121: Understanding Earth Processes
- Team Lead, Indigenous Student Achievement Pathways (2017-)
- Community Mentor, MFA Creative Writing
- Staff Mentor, usask.caISES (USASK Student Chapter of the Canadian Indigenous Science & Engineering Society)
- Coordinator, USASK Science Ambassador Program (2012-2017)
- Project Lead, Saskatchewan Cradleboard Initiative (2012-2015)
Sandy Marie Bonny has an interdisciplinary background in the academic earth sciences (PhD 2007) and literary and visual arts; she teaches, coordinates, researches and creates at intersections of narrative understanding. She is a lifelong member of Saskatoon's Treaty 6 community.
Education & Training
- PhD, Earth & Atmospheric Science, University of Alberta (2007) Physiochemical and biological controls on barite precipitation and petrography - insights from subaerial barite-precipitating spring
- MSc, Earth & Atmospheric Science, University of Alberta (2002) Recent and fossil spring deposits at Miette Hot Springs, Jasper National Park, A
- BSc (Hons.), Earth & Ocean Science, University of British Columbia (2000) Sediment surface area and particulate organic carbon preservation in trans-glacial cores, Saanich Inlet, BC
- The Inclusive STEM Teaching Project - EdX, Boston University, July-September 2021
- International Visitor Leadership Program; Providing STEM Education to Underserved and Vulnerable Populations, United States Congress, USA, July 13-Aug 3rd, 2019
- Indigenous Voices Staff and Faculty Development Program, Gwenna Moss Centre for Teaching Effectiveness, University of Saskatchewan, SK, 2012-2014
- PIMS/BIRS Creative Writing in Mathematics and Science Workshop, Banff International Research Station, AB, November 10-15, 2013
- Wired Writing Studio, Banff Centre for the Arts, AB, October-March 2007-08
- PIMS/BIRS Creative Writing in Mathematics and Science Workshop, Banff International Research Centre, AB, June 17-22, 2006