U of S Jazz Ensemble
at the Bassment
Fri, Feb 8, 2019, 9:00 PM CST
202 4th Avenue N
Saskatoon, SK S7K 0K1
Member Ticket- $15
Non-Member Ticket - $20
Under the direction of Dean McNeill, the U of S Jazz Ensemble has toured western Canada, northern USA, and Quebec, and has commissioned and premiered many new works for the contemporary large jazz ensemble idiom. This ensemble has released 6 CDs in their ‘Bumper Crop’ series and has performed in venues such as Edmonton’s acclaimed Winspear concert hall. The U of S Jazz Ensemble has performed with many acclaimed guest artists, including Jens Lindeman, Campbell Ryga and Slide Hampton.
There are positions available in this 20-piece large jazz ensemble for trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, saxes (i.e. soprano, alto tenor, bari), french horn, guitar, piano, bass, drums, and vocals. Repertoire includes a broad cross-section of traditional and contemporary jazz standards, as well as original compositions. Auditions are open to all U of S students.
For more information about the U of S Jazz Ensemble, click here.
Academic Year Performances
- Friday October 19, 2018: UofS Jazz Ensemble/Greystone Singers/Wind Orchestra _Play It _ _Forward _collaborative concert, Quance Theatre, UofS Education Building, 7:30 PM
- Saturday, October 27, 2018: UofS Dept. Of Music Big Band Dance, Manhattan Ballroom.
- Thursday, November 29, 2018 at 7:30 PM: Semester End UofS Jazz Concert, Quance Theater, UofS Education Building.
- February 8, 2019: UofS Jazz Ensemble, Bassment Jazz Club.
- March 16, 2019 at 7:30 PM: Semester End UofS Jazz Concert, Quance Theatre, UofS Education Building.
- Annual jazz ensemble studio recording project (exact date(s) TBA).
Composed and arranged by Bill Prouten, released on 'Bumper Crop VI Continuance' in Spring 2015
Composed and arranged by Fred Stride, released on 'Bumper Crop III Prairie Rhythms' in 2006