SF Virtual Jazz Orchestra - The Waking
The Waking was composed & arranged by UofS B.Mus. (performance) & Jazz Certificate graduate Silas Friesen. This piece was commissioned and premiered by the UofS Jazz in 2020. Many of the performers in this video are alumni of the UofS Jazz Ensemble.
Sunny Side Of The Street UofS Jazz Combo
Thanks USask Jazz Mosaic 2019-2020
Under the direction of Dean McNeill, the U of S Jazz Ensemble has toured western Canada, northern USA, and Quebec, and has commissioned and premiered many new works for the contemporary large jazz ensemble idiom. This ensemble has released 6 CDs in their ‘Bumper Crop’ series and has performed in venues such as Edmonton’s acclaimed Winspear concert hall. The U of S Jazz Ensemble has performed with many acclaimed guest artists, including Jens Lindeman, Campbell Ryga and Slide Hampton.
There are positions available in this 20-piece large jazz ensemble for trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, saxes (i.e. soprano, alto tenor, bari), french horn, guitar, piano, bass, drums, and vocals. Repertoire includes a broad cross-section of traditional and contemporary jazz standards, as well as original compositions. Auditions are open to all U of S students.
For more information about the U of S Jazz Ensemble, click here.
Academic Year Performances
- Thursday, February 27 @ 1:30 PM: UofS Jazz Ensemble/Greystone Singers/Wind Orchestra Play It Forward collaboration concert, Quance Theater, 28 Campus Drive, UofS Education Building.
- Saturday, February 1, 2020 @ 8:00 PM: UofS Dept. of Music Big Band Dance, Location: TBA
- Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM: Semester End UofS Jazz Concert, Quance Theater, 28 Campus Drive, UofS Education Building.
- March 6, 2020: UofS Jazz Ensemble, Bassment Jazz Club. For more information visit: https://thebassment.ca
- March 27, 2020 @ 7:30 PM: Semester End UofS Jazz Concert, Quance Theater, 28 Campus Drive, UofS Education Building.
- Annual jazz ensemble studio recording project (exact date(s) TBA).
For more information on any of the above performances contact email@example.com.
Canada 150 / 110th USask Anniversary Commission Project
Scenes of Plains Peoples
Scenes of a Prairie Peoples is a piece commissioned by the University of Saskatchewan in 2017 to commemorate Canada’s sesquicentennial, and the 110th Anniversary of the University of Saskatchewan. This 3-movement piece is a celebration of the land, and, of the different peoples that have inhabited it.
Composed and arranged by Bill Prouten, released on 'Bumper Crop VI Continuance' in Spring 2015
Composed and arranged by Fred Stride, released on 'Bumper Crop III Prairie Rhythms' in 2006