U of S Jazz Ensemble
with Bobby Shew
Sat, March 16, 2019, 7:30 PM CST
28 Campus Dr, Saskatoon, SK S7N 0X1
General - $20
Students - $10
Tickets Available at the Door
Under the direction of Dean McNeill, the U of S Jazz Ensemble has toured western Canada, northern USA, and Quebec, and has commissioned and premiered many new works for the contemporary large jazz ensemble idiom. This ensemble has released 6 CDs in their ‘Bumper Crop’ series and has performed in venues such as Edmonton’s acclaimed Winspear concert hall. The U of S Jazz Ensemble has performed with many acclaimed guest artists, including Jens Lindeman, Campbell Ryga and Slide Hampton.
There are positions available in this 20-piece large jazz ensemble for trumpet, trombone, bass trombone, saxes (i.e. soprano, alto tenor, bari), french horn, guitar, piano, bass, drums, and vocals. Repertoire includes a broad cross-section of traditional and contemporary jazz standards, as well as original compositions. Auditions are open to all U of S students.
For more information about the U of S Jazz Ensemble, click here.
Academic Year Performances
- Friday October 4, 2019 @ 7:30 PM: UofS Jazz Ensemble/Greystone Singers/Wind Orchestra Play It Forward collaboration concert, Quance Theater, 28 Campus Drive, UofS Education Building.
- Saturday, October 19, 2019 @ 8:00 PM: UofS Dept. of Music Big Band Dance, Manhattan Ballroom, highway SK-5 (5 minutes east of Saskatoon)
- Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 3:00 PM: Semester End UofS Jazz Concert, Quance Theater, 28 Campus Drive, UofS Education Building.
- March 6, 2020: UofS Jazz Ensemble, Bassment Jazz Club. For more information visit: https://thebassment.ca
- March 27, 2020 @ 7:30 PM: Semester End UofS Jazz Concert, Quance Theater, 28 Campus Drive, UofS Education Building.
- Annual jazz ensemble studio recording project (exact date(s) TBA).
For more information on any of the above performances contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Composed and arranged by Bill Prouten, released on 'Bumper Crop VI Continuance' in Spring 2015
Composed and arranged by Fred Stride, released on 'Bumper Crop III Prairie Rhythms' in 2006