Director of Planning and Communicationsandrea.email@example.com 306-966-4249 306-230-1659 Profile
About College Planning
The Director of Planning and Communications is the key strategic planner for the College of Arts & Science, working with pressing problems and significant opportunities that must be strategically addressed for college to meet its priorities and affect operations of the institution.
Planning is often not a linear process, and involves regular re-focusing and re-examining.
Planning processes and content are made stronger by a diversity of thought and opinion.
The college plan is part of the process, not the end of the process.
College planning involves:
- Creation of planning teams and framework: convene; negotiate; request resources; align actions; environmental scanning and strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats (SWOT) analysis; liaise to executive leadership; build the plan so it is implementable and aligned to university priorities; strategic issues identification (including tactics; metrics; implementation teams and stakeholders; budget planning; unit planning; planning resources and gap analysis)
- Development of mandates (formal and informal)
- Creation of communications plans (audience; key messages; schedule for communicating; delivery methods)
- Implementation of plans (processes are repeatable, definable, understandable; evaluate outcomes; work on barriers that are risks to strategic initiatives and tactics; review and revise the plan)
Key questions for college planning are:
- Who is responsible/ the authority to set the target?
- Who is accountable to meet the target?
- What is organizational capacity? List out physical resources, IT resources, fiscal resources, people resources
- What measurements (milestones) will track, monitor, and assess the effectiveness of the plan? Where will you get the data, and who is responsible for tracking the metric, and how often?