Many of our graduates go on to further study, either in interdisciplinary graduate programs, masters programs in one of the participating departments, or in Law, Policy Studies or MBA studies. There are a few interdisciplinary graduate programs in International Studies, International Development Studies or Latin American Studies.

A growing number of Canadian universities offer interdisciplinary graduate programs in International Development Studies. These include:

  • Dalhousie University
  • McGill University
  • Queen’s University
  • St. Mary’s University
  • University of Guelph
  • York University

The following graduate programs may be of particular interest to students interested in International Cooperation and Conflict/International Relations:

  • Carleton University (Norman Patterson School of International Affairs)
  • McMaster University (Institute on Globalization and the Human Condition)
  • Royal Roads University (School of Peace and Conflict Management)
  • University of Ottawa (joint degree - studies in Law at Ottawa combined with International Relations at Carleton)
  • University of Toronto (Munk School of Global Affairs)
  • University of Waterloo (Balsillie School of International Affairs)

There are many outstanding graduate programs in the United States where one may pursue degrees in International Studies and closely related fields. Among the top American schools are:

  • American University
    • International Peace and Conflict Resolution
    • Ethics, Peace and Global Affairs
  • Columbia University, School of International and Public Affairs
  • Cornell University
    • Professional Studies in International Development
  • Georgetown University School of Foreign Service
  • George Washington University
    • International Affairs (Elliot School of International Affairs)
    • International Development Studies
    • International Trade and Investment Policy
  • Harvard University, Kennedy School of Government
    • Public Administration in International Development
  • John’s Hopkins University, School of Advanced International Studies
  • Tufts University Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
  • University of Chicago Center for International Studies
  • University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill, Global Studies programs

Note: When considering possibilities for graduate work at American universities, keep in mind the possibility of pursuing graduate work in an Area Studies program. Area Studies (e.g. Asian Studies, Latin American Studies) are highly developed in many American universities, whereas Development Studies is taught in relatively few institutions.

Specialized ‘taught Master’s’ programs are offered by Universities outside of Canada, especially in the United Kingdom. Many are designed to appeal to students with special areas of interest, such as human rights, gender and development, conflict resolution, refugee studies, and rural development. 

Among the best known of the British institutions offering programs related to International Studies are:

  • Essex University (Political Studies)
  • London School of Economics
  • University of Bradford
  • University of East Anglia
  • University of Manchester
  • University of Sussex (Institute for Development Studies)

To investigate opportunities for graduate studies related to International Studies in the United Kingdom and in Europe start with the following websites maintained by major scholarly associations (particularly in Development Studies): 

Development Studies Association: Guide to Development Studies Courses in UK and Ireland 

European Association of Development Research and Training Institutes (EADI)  
(look for DevTrain in the website for information on training opportunities)


Start your search at the University of Saskatchewan Scholarships and Bursaries webpage

The Canadian Bureau for International Education (CBIE) maintains a website on study opportunities for Canadians abroad, which includes information on scholarships.

Students with a strong academic record who are interested in studying in the United Kingdom, India, or New Zealand should consider applying for a Commonwealth Scholarship.