- Medieval English language and literature
- Medieval manuscript studies
- Digital humanities
- History of the English language
Yin Liu teaches medieval English language and literature, history of the English language, and historical approaches to English. Her research is in the Middle English romances, medieval manuscript studies, and digital humanities.
Current research: medievalcodes.ca
Selection of Publications (by Year)
- Liu, Y. "Old English: Teaching from Ignorance" In Teaching the History of the English Language, edited by Colette Moore & Chris Palmer, 98-107. New York: MLA, 2019.
- Michael Cichon, Yin Liu, eds.. Proverbia Septentrionalia: Essays on Proverbs in Medieval Scandinavian and English Literature. Tempe, AZ: ACMRS, 2019.
- Liu, Y. "Stating the Obvious in Runes" In Verbal and Visual Communication in Early English Texts, edited by M. Peikola, A. Mäkilähde, H. Salmi, M-L. Varila, & J. Skaffari, 125-139. Turnhout: Brepols, 2017.
- Liu, Y. "Appeal to the Public: Lessons from the Early History of the Oxford English Dictionary" In Beyond Accessibility: Textual Studies in the 21st Century, edited by R. Cunningham and B. Nelson. Online: Digital Studies, 2016.
- B. Neudorf, Y. Liu. "Signes-de-renvoi" In ArchBook, edited by A. Galey et al. Online: ArchBook, 2015.
- Liu, Y. "Scribal Spelling of Northern 'ta' as 'to', and Some Implications" In Studies in Middle English: Words, Forms, Senses and Texts, edited by Michael Bilynsky, 213-224. Frankfurt: Peter Lang, 2014.
- Siemens, L., J. Smith, Y. Liu. "Mapping Disciplinary Differences and Equity of Academic Control to Create a Collaboration Space". Canadian Journal of Higher Education 44, 2 (2014): 49-67.
- Liu, Y. "Ways of Reading, Models for Text, and the Usefulness of Dead People". Scholarly and Research Communication 5, 2 (2014)
- Liu, Y. "Building History in the English Rous Roll". Viator 42, 2 (2011): 307-319.
- Liu, Y. "The Challenge of an Ancestor of the Earl of Warwick: The Guînes pas d'armes of 1413". OSTMAR 1, 4 (2011): 1-10.
- Liu, Y. "Text as Image in Kipling's Just So Stories". Papers on Language and Literature 44, 3 (2008): 227-249.
- Liu, Y. "Middle English Romance as Prototype Genre". Chaucer Review 40, 4 (2006): 335-353.
- Liu, Y. "Richard Beauchamp and the Uses of Romance". Medium Ævum 74 (2005): 271-287.
Teaching & Supervision
Selection of Courses Taught (by Year)
- 2020 - History and Future of the Book
- 2021 - Middle English Romances
English digital humanities history language literature manuscript studies medieval technology
Some current research:
Awards & Honours
- Teaching Excellence Award, awarded by University of Saskatchewan Students' Union June 2018
- Teaching Excellence Award, awarded by University of Saskatchewan College of Arts and Science June 2017
- Teaching Excellence Award, awarded by University of Saskatchewan Students' Union January 2005