- Bilingualism, Multilingualism, Pluralingualism, immigrant languages of Canada
- Sociolinguistics; cross-cultural studies;
- immigrant and heritage languages and cultures in Canada
- Russian, Ukrainian, Japanese, German
- languages acquisition by bi-multilingual children, community language schools,
- Doukhobor Russian (Spirit Wrestlers) language, beliefs, and culture in Canada
- Speech acts and Politeness
- Discourse Analysis
5 books, over 100 research papers.
Please see Publications List at the bottom of this page under "Documents and Links".
Teaching & Supervision
Bilingualism and multilingualism Discourse Analysis Doukhobor Religion and Culture Immigrant languages and cultures Intercultural Communication Language Dynamics Language and Culture Language and Gender Lexicology Linguistics Sociolinguistics
Language Dynamics, Intercultural Communication, Sociolinguistics, Language and Gender, Discourse Analysis, Language and Culture, Lexicology, Doukhobor Religion and Culture.
Bilingualism, Multilingualism Discourse Analysis Doukhobor Russian (Spirit Wrestlers) language and culture Russian, Ukrainian, Japanese, German Sociolinguistics Speech Acts and Politeness cross-cultural studies immigrant and heritage languages and cultures in Canada language acquisition by bi-multilingual children
Bilingualism and multilingualism, immigrant languages and cultures of Canada, Russian as an immigrant language of Canada, Russian as a heritage language of Canada, sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, Russian language and culture, Doukhobor (Spirit Wrestlers) Russian language and culture in Canada, cross-cultural studies, language and culture, Discourse Analysis, minority language maintenance.
Education & Training
PhD, Linguistics, University of St. Petersburg, 1992.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics, the University of Edniburgh, 1998-1999.
Awards & Honours
- Teaching Excellence Award, awarded by College of Arts and Science, University of Saskatchewan May 2009