- Production of paintings which replicate the look of cinematographic images
- Comparative aspects of 20th Century Western phenomenologists
- Phenomenology of Far Eastern philosophies
- Development and implications of cinema and technological imaging
Selection of Publications (by Year)
- Nowlin, D. "Command of Craft" Review of , The Craft Factor. In Press
- Nowlin, D. "Alternative Vision, Alternative Places by Craig Barber" Review of , Blackflash Magazine. In Press
- Nowlin, D. "Building the University of Lethbridge Art Collection". Newest Review In Press
- Nowlin, D. "Exhibition Review" Review of , The Craft Factor. In Press
My professional work as an artist is represented by the Vanderleelie Gallery in Edmonton (AB), Newbury Fine Arts in Boston., the Halde Galerie in Zurich, and the Gust Gallery in Wateron Lakes (AB).
20th Century Digital imaging Digital memory cinema digital painting phenomenology
My research has centered on comparative aspects of both 20th Century Western phenomenologists (as well as Nietsche, Bergson, etc.) and what I consider to be the phenomenology of Far Eastern philosophies. A deep interest in phenomenology and the development and implications of cinema and technological imaging inform my studio practice, which in recent years has centred exclusively on the production of paintings which replicate the look of cinematographic images. This research has taken me both to Europe and the far East. I recently travelled to Nepal and India where I visited the Hindu University at Benares; the Tibetan Library and Archives in Dharmsala; museums and galleries in New Delhi and Bombay; and numerous holy sites and monasteries.
Education & Training
BA, BFA (University of Lethbridge
MFA (University of Calgary)