- Gay and lesbian psychology
- Body image
- Stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination
- Human sexuality (in particular, pornography and sex work)
Psychology & Sexuality
Editorial Board Member:
Journal of Homosexuality
Journal of Sex Research
Journal of Social Psychology
Psychology of Men and Masculinities
Psychology of Sexual Orientation and Gender Diversity
body image gay and lesbian prejudice psychometric sexuality
- Croteau, T.A.*, & Morrison, T.G. (in press). Development of the Nonbinary Gender Microaggressions Scale (NBGM). International Journal of Transgender Health. IF = 3.138.
- de Barros, C.A.*, & Morrison, T.G. (in press). Development and validation of the Positive Bisexual Identity (PBI) scale. Psychology & Sexuality, 1-21. IF = 2.344.
- de Barros, C.A.*, Sadika, B., Croteau, T.A.*, Morrison, M.A., & Morrison, T.G. (in press). Associations between subcategories of disgust sensitivity and homonegativity: Examining intergroup contact as a moderator. Psychology & Sexuality, 1-21. IF = 2.344.
- Morrison, M.A., Katz, J.W.*, Sadika, B., McCutcheon, J.M., & Morrison, T.G. (in press). STEM representation of women in senior leadership. In B. Momani & R. Johnstone (Eds.), Gender in the Academy. UBC Press.
- Parker, K.M.*, Morrison, M.A., Morrison, T.G., Dyck, L.E.Q., & Wall, K. (in press). Toward a fair justice system in Canada: Women and girls homicide database project. In K. Boyle & S. Berridge (Eds.), Routledge Companion on Gender, Media, and Violence. Routledge.
- Katz, J.W.*, Abeygunawardena, T.**, O’Reilly, N.**, Smith, B.R.R.**, & Morrison, T.G. (in press). Wes Craven and BIPOC-horror: Contrasting The People Under the Stairs with The Possession of Joel Delaney. In F. G. P. Berns & J. Darowski (Eds.), A critical companion to Wes Craven. Lexington.
- Morrison, J., Morrison, T.G., & Parker, K.M.* (in press). It's a real, real, real man's world: Sexy martyrdom and heroic fortitude in Mel Gibson's Braveheart, The Passion of the Christ, and Hacksaw Ridge. In A. Barkman & A. Sanna (Eds.), A critical companion to Mel Gibson. Lexington.
- Mirzaei, Y.*, Zare, S.*, & Morrison, T.G. (2022). Hijab pornography: A content analysis of Internet pornographic videos. Violence against Women, 28, 1420-1440. IF = 2.586.
- Hoffman, E.M.*, de Souza, M.J.B., Morrison, M.A., & Morrison, T.G. (2021). Beyond the rainbow: Attitudes of Brazilian consumers regarding homoaffective advertisements. Brazilian Business Review, 18, 433-449.
- Katz, J.W.*, de Barros, A.C.*, & Morrison, T.G. (2021). Ambiguous sex in critical receptions to Ari Aster's Midsommar. Sexuality & Culture, 25, 2035-2051.
- Katz, J.W.*, O'Beaglaoich, C., & Morrison, T.G. (2021). Examining boyhood masculinity within an Irish context: An assessment of the reliability and structural validity of the Meanings of Adolescent Masculinity Scale (MAMS) and the Adolescent Masculinity Ideology in Relationships Scale (AMIRS). SAGE Open. IF = 1.356.
- Kiss, M.J.*, McDonagh, L.K., Sparks, B.*, Hamp, T.**, & Morrison, T.G. (2021). Accurately assessing gay men's erectile functioning: A critique of the International Index of Erectile Function (IIEF) use with gay men. Journal of Sex Research, 5, 589-598. IF = 5.141.
- Kiss, M.J.*, & Morrison, T.G. (2021). Eroticizing desperation: Poverty gay-for-pay porn. Sexuality & Culture, 25, 1509-1528.
- Morrison, M.A., Parker, K.M.*, Sadika, B.*, Sameen, D.**, & Morrison, T.G. (2021). "Newsworthy enough"?: Media framing of Canadian LGBTQ persons' sexual violence experiences. Psychology & Sexuality, 12, 96-114. IF = 2.558.
- Bishop, CJ., & Morrison, T.G. (2020). Affective responses to non-sexual imagery depicting gay men and lesbian women. Journal of Social Psychology, 160, 310-323. IF = 1.241.
- Kiss, M.J.*, Morrison, M.A., & Morrison, T.G. (2020). A meta-analytic review of the association between disgust and homonegativity toward gay men. Journal of Homosexuality, 67, 674-696. IF = 1.277.
- Morrison, T.G., Katz, J.*, Mirzaei, Y.*, & Zare, S.* (2020). Body image and eating disorders among sexual and gender minority populations. In E.D. Rothblum (Ed.), The Oxford handbook on sexual and gender mental health (pp. 73-85). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- O'Beaglaoich, C., McCutcheon, J., Conway, P.F., Hanafin, J., & Morrison, T.G. (2020). Adolescent suicide ideation, depression, and self-esteem: Relationships to a new measure of gender role conflict. Frontiers in Psychology, 1-11. IF = 2.129.
- Parker, K.M., Sadika, B., Sameen, D., Morrison, T.G., & Morrison, M.A. (2020). Humanizing lesbian characters on television: Exploring their characterization and interpersonal relationships. Journal of Lesbian Studies, 24, 395-413.
- Potter, K.G., Hunter, P.V., & Morrison, T.G. (2020). Dispositional mindfulness in Irritable Bowel Syndrome: The mediating role of symptom interference and self-compassion. Mindfulness, 11, 462-471. IF = 3.00.
- Sadika, B., Wiebe, E., Morrison, M.A., & Morrison, T.G. (2020). Intersectional microaggressions and social support for LGBTQ Persons of Colour: A systematic review of the Canadian-based empirical literature. Journal of GLBT Family Studies, 16, 111-147.
- Kiss, M.J.*, Parker, K.*, & Morrison, T.G. (2019). Understanding the believability and erotic value of "heterosexual" men in gay pornography. Porn Studies, 6, 169-192.
- Morrison, M.A., Bishop, CJ, & Morrison, T.G. (2019). A systematic review of the psychometric properties of composite LGBT prejudice and discrimination scales. Journal of Homosexuality, 66, 549-570. IF = 1.277.
- Morrison, M.A., Kiss, M.J.*, Parker, K.*, Hamp, T.**, & Morrison, T.G. (2019). A systematic review of the psychometric properties of binegativity scales. Journal of Bisexuality, 19, 23-50.
- Morrison, M.A., Sadika, B.*, & Morrison, T.G. (2019). Contested meanings and lived experiences of Two-Spiritness: A systematic review of the Canadian research literature. Canadian Journal of Native Studies, 39, 145-168.
- Morrison, M.A., Trinder, K.M., & Morrison, T.G. (2019). Affective responses to gay men using facial electromyography: The neuroscientific “look” of anti-gay bias. Journal of Homosexuality, 66, 1238-1261. IF = 1.277.
- Morrison, T.G., Kiss, M.*, Bishop, CJ*, & Morrison, M.A. (2019). "We're disgusted with queers, not fearful of them": The interrelationships among disgust, gay men's sexual behavior, and homonegativity. Journal of Homosexuality, 66, 1014-1033. IF = 1.277.
- Nielsen, E-J.*, & Morrison, T.G. (2019). Barebacking as a form of homosociality?: Notes on Bottom. In S. Petrella (Ed.), Erotic subjects and outlaws: Sketching the borders of sexual citizenship (pp. 215-237). Oxfordshire, UK: I-D Press.
- Regan, D., McCaffrey, J., Walsh, C., MacNeela, P., & Morrison, T.G. (2019). Assessment of the psychometric properties of the Drinking Motives Questionnaire - Revised (DMQ-R) among Irish drinkers. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 35, 196-205. IF = 1.985.
- Williams, D., Nielsen, E-J.*, Morrison, M.A., & Morrison, T.G. (2019). Challenges to masculinity in a feminized digital space: Men as autonomous online agents on Pinterest. Qualitative Market Research, 22, 180-189.
- Finn, E., Morrison, T.G., & McGuire, B.E. (2018). Correlates of sexual functioning and relationship satisfaction among men and women experiencing chronic pain. Pain Medicine, 19, 942-954. IF = 2.82.
- Gilliland, E.**, Kiss, M.J.*, Morrison, M.A., & Morrison, T.G. (2018). Characterological correlates of selfie taking behavior. Psychology, 9, 1530-1545.
- Kiss, M.J.,* Morrison, T.G., & McDonagh, L.K. (2018). Male Body-Image Self-Consciousness during physical intimacy (M-BISC): Validating the M-BISC with gay men. Journal of Sexual Medicine, 16, 307-315. IF = 3.339.
- McDonagh, L.K., Nielsen, E-J.*, McDermott, D.T., Davies, N., & Morrison, T.G. (2018). "I want to feel like a full man": Conceptualizing gay, bisexual and heterosexual men's sexual difficulties. Journal of Sex Research, 55, 783-801. IF = 2.902.
- Madraga, M., Nielsen, E. J., & Morrison, T. G. (2018). ‘You Do You’ feminism: Lesbian, bisexual, and queer women’s perspectives on the dildo. Sexuality & Culture, 22, 1000-1018.
- Morrison, M.A., Bishop, CJ, & Morrison, T.G. (2018). What is the best measure of discrimination against trans people? A review of the psychometric literature. Psychology & Sexuality, 9, 269-287. IF = 2.10
- Walsh, D.M.J., Groarke, AM., Morrison, T.G., Durkan, G., Rogers, E., & Sullivan, F.J. (2018). Measuring a new facet of post traumatic growth: Development of a scale of physical post traumatic growth in men with prostate cancer. PLOS One. IF = 2.806.
- Walsh, D.M.J., Morrison, T.G., Conway, R.J., Rogers, E., Sullivan, F.J., & Groarke, AM. (2018). A model to predict psychological and health related adjustment in men with prostate cancer: The role of post traumatic growth, physical post traumatic growth, resilience, and mindfulness. Frontiers in Psychology. IF = 2.321.
Note: * = graduate student; ** = undergraduate student.
Teaching & Supervision
discrimination prejudice psychometrics sexuality stereotyping
I teach a number of courses; however, the ones I instruct most often are Psychology 227 (Human Sexuality) and Psychology 427 (Sexual Minority Issues in Social Psychology).
Currently, I am supervising one doctoral student (Mannie Mirzaei) and one MA student (Terri Croteau). All of my students, past and present, are actively engaged in the publication process, with co-authored papers appearing in outlets such as Violence against Women, Journal of Homosexuality, Journal of Sex Research, Journal of Lesbian Studies, Sexuality & Culture, Psychology & Sexuality, Journal of Sexual Medicine, and Porn Studies.
Stereotyping, prejudice, and discrimination body image feminist psychology film studies human sexuality masculinity pornography psychometrics queer studies
My publication list underscores the diversity of my research interests. However, two dominant themes are evident: 1) I conduct research on topics relevant to the lives of sexual minority persons (e.g., gay men, lesbian women, asexual persons, etc.); and 2) I am interested in the ways in which cultural artefacts such as film and music disseminate messages about minoritized groups (e.g., women, gay men, trans persons, etc.).
Education & Training
I completed my BSc (1st class honours) at the University of Victoria; my MSc at Memorial University of Newfoundland; and my PhD at Queen's University (Kingston).