2020 Dean's Distinguished
|Brieanna Bird||Payroll Coordinator, Admin Support Group Staff|
|Rick Elvin||Scientific Glassblower, Chemistry Staff|
|Tara Hackl||Executive Assistant to the Vice-Dean Research, Scholarly and Artistic Work|
|Amy Karakochuk||Office Coordinator, Linguistics|
|Renee Lepitzki||Financial Coordinator, Admin Support Group Staff|
|Brigitte McGhee||Awards Officer, Student Awards, Admin Support Group Staff|
|Ashley Taylor||Clerical Assistant, Graduate Programs|
The Dean's Distinguished Staff Award is an annual staff award which recognizes and formally acknowledges two outstanding members of the College of Arts & Science staff and the extraordinary contribution they make to the working environment.
This award allows staff and faculty to show their appreciation for a colleague who consistently goes above and beyond in their contributions to the workplace, to recognize a colleague who has distinguished themselves in their work.
Staff members nominated for this award will have made a significant contribution to their workplace through excellence in overall work performance and quality of service, and will have demonstrated the College values of integrity, diversity, creativity, innovation, knowledge and personal growth.
The Dean's Distinguished Staff Award is open to any staff member of the College of Arts & Science, including all CUPE 1975 and ASPA members, and Exempt members, with a minimum of two years of service as of the nomination deadline.
Employees who have previously received the award are not eligible.
Who may nominate?
Any College employee, including staff, faculty and administrators, or any student, may nominate a staff member for the Dean's Distinguished Staff Award.
You can nominate employees from within or outside your own unit or department.
Distinguished Staff Award Nomination Criteria
The distinguished staff award criteria are based on the University's and College's core competencies and values of excellence, integrity, diversity, creativity, innovation, knowledge and personal growth.
Nominees need not meet all the criteria, but please identify at least three qualities that apply to the candidate.
- Demonstrates excellence in overall work performance
- Consistently provides excellence in job performance in their regular duties
- Exhibits good organizational and leadership skills
- Shows motivation and desire for excellence
- Provides exceptional service to clients
- Demonstrates commitment to the department and the College by performing services beyond the requirements of their job responsibilities
- Is knowledgeable about the job duties and the University
- Exhibits high levels of energy and commitment to the department or work unit
- Contributes to a positive and productive work and learning environments
Continually contributes to a respectful, diverse and collaborative work environment
- Is willing to share their knowledge, skills and experience with others
- Treats others with dignity and respect
- Is a person from whom others seek guidance and advice
- Builds opportunities through collaboration and partnerships
- Earns the respect of others through professionalism, team work and contribution to morale
- Participates willingly and openly supports team or departmental decisions
- Promotes positive experiences and morale
- Exhibits a congenial, supportive attitude when providing service to others
- Interacts with co-workers, students and faculty in a positive, responsive and cheerful manner
- Values the diversity of the University community, including the people, their points of view, and the contributions they make
Demonstrates ability to initiate, implement, and support innovation or creativity and institutional change
- Addresses problematic situations and suggests creative ways to resolve them
- Adapts and maintains productivity in an atmosphere of changing practices
- Demonstrates an optimistic attitude towards change
Exemplifies excellence and integrity in workplace relationships, interactions, and decision making
- Recognizes and gives credit to successes of others
- Demonstrates integrity and ethical conduct in words and deeds
- Understands and demonstrates the need for confidentiality and discretion
- Identifies shared interests to develop positive outcomes
- Values and considers different points of view before making a decision
Is committed to making the university experience a positive one for students
- Demonstrates commitment to the development of quality programs and/or activities that contribute to students' personal and academic development and/or the university experience
- Demonstrates commitment to "being there" for students when they encounter personal or academic problems.
Takes responsibility for personal growth and development
- Seeks out and appreciates feedback, demonstrating a commitment to learning
- Shows an interest and effort in continually enhancing skills and quality of work
- Demonstrated commitment to learning
A nomination must clearly state the nominee's merits and concrete examples of the candidates' exceptional performance and distinguished service. Nominations should be made with objectivity and professionalism and be supported by at least two persons (in addition to the nominator) and by the nominee's supervisor (as one of the two persons, if not the nominator).A nomination must include:
- Completed Nomination Information Form (on PAWS) - details the facts supporting this nomination
- One Nomination Letter - Not more than 3 pages maximum addressing the following information:
- A brief description of the nominee's job responsibilities
- Description of how the nominee meets at least three of the six award criteria.
Two support letters - 1 page maximum per letter Support letters should come from two of these groups: coworkers, supervisors, faculty, students, and other UofS affiliated employees. Note: As the Nomination must also be supported by the nominee's supervisor, ensure that nominee's supervisor provides either the nomination letter or a support letter.
On-Line Nomination Process
Note: in order to complete the Nomination Form on-line you must have electronic copies of the nomination letter and support letters available for submission with the form.
Nominations are closed for this year
DeadlineAll nominations should be submitted no later than March 31, 2018. Nominations received after the deadline will not be considered.
The Selection Committee will be appointed by the Dean and will consist of three people who are not eligible to be nominated for the Award, and may include membership from other areas of the University, as well as a Human Resources representative.
Nominations will be reviewed by the committee using the eligibility and nomination criteria described above. The committee will forward its recommendation to the Dean, who will make the final decision.
The winner's of the Dean's Distinguished Staff Award will be acknowledged with a certificate in recognition of their special contribution and $1,000 (tax deductible).
For further information, contact the Dean's Office at 306-966-4232 or by e-mail at email@example.com.
Past Award Winners
Marjorie GranrudeClerical assistant, Department of Physics and Engineering Physics
Nadine PennerGraduate Programs Administrative Coordinator, Administrative Support Group
Donna BilokreliStudent Advisor, UGSO
Kyla DentonAdministrative Coordinator, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Sheryl ProuseDirector of Student Advising
Ted ToporowskiMachine Shop Technician
Ronda DukeDepartment Head's Secretary
Lana EliasDirector of Science Outreach
Alexis DahlDirector, Arts and Science Programs
Margarita SantosAdministrative Clerical Assistant, Department of Mathematics and Statistics
Brenda BrittonOffice Manager of the Department of Geography and Planning
Joan VirglExecutive Assistant to the Head and Graduate Chair for the Department of Biology
Gloria BrandonDirector of Student Advising Services, UGSO
Lori GilesClerical Assistant, Department of Sociology
Mary Jane HansonAdminstrative Assistant, Department of Economics
Gary BrunetAssociate Director of IT, College Office
Troy LinsleyAdministrative Assistant, Department of Music
Cheryl PicheHead Secretary, Department of Mathematics and Statistics