Alumni of Influence Award Terms of Reference
The Alumni of Influence Awards are a way for the College of Arts & Science to publically recognize and celebrate our very distinguished alumni and signal to our students that they are part of a vibrant and accomplished college.
About the Award
The College of Arts & Science established the Alumni of Influence awards in 2009 to celebrate inspiring graduates whose life accomplishments have had a tremendous influence locally, nationally and internationally. Our alumni are making a difference in virtually every field, from medical research, water security and politics to Aboriginal justice, software development and the arts. The awards offer an opportunity to share these important achievements with students, faculty, the university and the greater community.
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
The nominees must be alumni of the College of Arts & Science (i.e., having any degree, diploma or certificate from a department or program within the College of Arts & Science renders an individual eligible for this award).
Nominees will be evaluated based upon the following criteria:
- Have achieved distinction in a chosen field of endeavour, such as: Aboriginal initiatives, the arts, athletics, business/industry, health/wellness, education, public service, research, science/technology;
- Have made outstanding contributions to the social, cultural and economic well-being of society;
- Have made a contribution of significance that has not received previous public acclaim, such as: volunteer leadership; philanthropy; mentorship or service to the community at home or abroad; significant and on-going contribution to Aboriginal initiatives and the Aboriginal community.
- Current University of Saskatchewan faculty and staff are not eligible to be nominated.
- Individuals currently holding elected office are not eligible to be nominated.
- An individual may only receive the Alumni of Influence Award once.
- Posthumous nominations are accepted.
- The nominee’s age or length of time since graduating from the College of Arts & Science is not a consideration.
- A call for nominations will be distributed once every two years following the Alumni of Influence ceremony. A reminder will also be distributed prior to the deadline. The call will be sent to all College of Arts & Science alumni (for whom we have valid email addresses), faculty and staff. The call will also be promoted via the college’s social media channels, website, LCD displays, etc.
- Nominations will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the two-year period up to the nomination deadline, which will be set for late September, biennially.
- Nominators need not be alumni of the College of Arts & Science. However, nominations may not be made for oneself or for one’s immediate family member.
- a completed nomination form;
- a nomination letter signed by the nominator that is a summary of the nominee’s achievements and provides a rationale for why the nominee should be selected to receive this award;
- two (2) to three (3) letters of support from additional professional and/or community references.
- Nominations may be submitted for multiple nominees from a single nominator in any given year;
- If a nomination is not successful, it will remain active and be reconsidered in the following nomination period as approved by the selection committee;
- Recipients of the award will be determined in the fall prior to the biennial awards ceremony;
- All nominators will be notified by email or letter of the selection committee’s decision;
- Two years must pass following the expiration of a nomination before the same individual can be nominated again;
- While all nominators will be notified of the results by the College of Arts & Science, only successful nominees will be contacted;
- Successful nominees will receive their award at the Alumni of Influence Dean’s Gala and Award Ceremony.
The nomination package must include:
Selection Committee (4-year term)
The award recipients shall be chosen by a selection committee consisting of:
- The chair, as appointed by the Dean (currently the alumni relations officer)
- Two current faculty members
- One or two College of Arts & Science Alumni of Influence award recipient(s)
- The president of the Arts & Science Students’ Union (ASSU), or designate as appointed by the ASSU
- One College of Arts & Science communications officer
Nominees will be ranked by each committee member prior to the selection meeting. The highest aggregate scores and discussion by committee members will determine the recipients of the Alumni of Influence award.
A maximum of ten (10) individuals may receive the award each year. In the case of a tie, the committee may choose to honour eleven (11) individuals. The committee may choose to honour fewer than ten (10) individuals biennially at its discretion.
Submit a nomination
Nominators: Please explain in no more than 500 words, based on the award criteria, why their nominee should be chosen for the Alumni of Influence Award. Please submit your nomination to the College of Arts & Science Alumni Office.
Nominees: Must be Alumni of the College of Arts & Science.
Award Selection: Alumni of Influence Award Selection Committee will independently review and rank each nomination form according to the award criteria. Recipients will be selected based on the highest aggregate score. An announcement identifying the recipients will be made in the Arts & Science alumni magazine.
Deadline: Monday, September 25, 2017
*Nominations will be accepted on a rolling basis throughout the two-year period up to the nomination deadline, which will be set for late September, biennially.
College of Arts & Science
Attn: Alumni of Influence Selection Committee
Arts 235 - 9 Campus Drive Saskatoon, SK