Syllabus and Supplies
Robin Adair Drawing I: Methods and Exploration
- Line and gesture: contour drawing; gesture drawing; exploratory mark making.
- Shading and value: Introduction to still-life drawing.
- Composition and design: Studies in rhythm, balance, and positive and negative space.
- Cubist abstraction: Introduction to collage techniques using found materials and recycled drawings.
- Symbolic representation: Creating visual analogues and narratives with gestural line, value, shape, and pattern.
- Self-portraiture: Introduction to anatomical structure; techniques for rendering a human face with line and shading.
- Figure drawing, part one: Introduction to anatomical structure; gesture drawing; working from multiple perspectives.
- Figure drawing, part two: Building towards a sustained work in multiple mediums. Drawing from a live model.
- Independent work
Please note that this outline is subject to change in response to class dynamics and development.
- Vine Charcoal
- Graphite Sticks
- Pencils (2B to 8B) Staedtler Mars Lumograph brand is recommended
- Erasers: 2 kneaded and 1 gum
- Conte (brown, black, and white)
- 2 bamboo ink brushes
- Container of India Ink
- Roll of rice paper
- Pad of newsprint (18” x 24” or larger)
- Bulldog clips (two)
Note: During the first class, we will discuss options for other drawing papers.