Watercolour I: Basic Techniques and Fundamentals (Weeks 6-10)
Instructor: Alison Montgomery
5 weeks: January 12 to February 9
$200 Supplies extra
Prerequisite: Watercolour I: Weeks 1-5
In the second session of this introduction to painting with watercolour, students will continue to explore colour mixing, painting techniques and ideas for subject matter.
- Landscape elements, atmospheric perspective, trees, sky, and water.
- Where to start and what to paint first.
- Observation of still life: shape reading, drawing with the brush.
- Working with White.
- Open Studio: exploring personal style, areas of interest and ideas for subject matter.
- Ongoing discussion about where to go from here, how to frame watercolour work and options for painting on canvas.
- Watercolour mixing palette with large mixing space
- 1 or 2 #12 wc brushes (Princeton round)
- 1 or 2 # 20 wc brushes (Princeton round)
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Cadmium Lemon (WN) or
- Hansa Yellow Light (DS)
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson
- Quinacridone Rose
- 1 sheet of 22 x 30 300lb Cold Press (Arches) watercolour paper (paper may be cut or torn to size for most projects)
- Inexpensive watercolour pad
- 2B pencil(s) and small pencil sharpener
- small gum eraser
- 1 roll painters’ tape
- Masonite or corrugated plastic painting board
- 3-4 large binder clamps
- Water containers, old cloths or paper towels