Stone Carving I: Classical Techniques
An introduction to the materials, tools and techniques of classical stone carving. This is a foundation class for those interested in learning traditional mallet and chisel carving. Students will develop an understanding of the step by step process of subtraction and its guiding principles.
- Layout and drawing the design
- Transferring the drawing to stone
- Gauging angles and depths
- Working subtractively
- Tooling and tool marks
- Texturing and sparrow pecking
- Undercutting to create shadows
- Time permitting: lettering, architectural accents and embellishments
All materials are purchased through us when you register ($350). This includes the stone, and a traditional mallet and two chisels which are custom made by instructor Robert Assie.