Perspective and Composition
The course will focus on basic perspective working up to complex compositions. The skills will be useful to any media or style. It will allow the artist to move the viewer throughout the painting. The tools will assist the artist in expressing depth, mood, atmosphere, spatial relationships, balance and rhythm in a 2D plane. The instruction will be reinforced with many examples. There will be 8 major chapters with exercises to reinforce the concepts. During the break between the 2 weekends, the homework assignment will be to create at least 4 pieces using the skills taught in the sessions.
Learn the secrets of the Masters! Ready to take your art to a higher level? Understanding perspective will give you the tools to create the illusion of depth on a 2D canvas. Knowing the rules of composition will allow your images to become solid, pleasing pieces that will draw the viewer in and hold their attention. It will also give you the knowledge when to break the rules for a shocking or jarring effect. Ever have a piece that just didn’t work but didn’t know why? It was probably the composition. Learn how to see and correct your works and elevate to a higher and more enjoyable level. Suitable for drawing, painting of all medias, abstract to realistic and photography.
The classes are divided into 4 distinct topics:
- Observing our world: Introduces placement, movement, balance and their emotional counterparts. Introduces concepts used in architecture to graphic arts. Atmospheric perspective and its affect on colour is illustrated. What we know intuitively and what we didn’t even notice we do!
- Linear perspective including one point, two point, three point perspective and many of its variations. Steelyard balance is explored.
- The basic rules of balance and spaces within your image. How to use what you know intuitively with purpose. Rule of Thirds, introduction to Phi, Fibonacci sequence, and an exploration of easy tools you can use to help you create more effective focal points, depth and pleasing compositions.
- Every read the DaVinci Code? Here is where you get into the secrets of the old masters and how you can use these tools to enhance your art, such as Golden Mean, Golden Ratio, Golden Life.
- Graph paper
- Large newsprint pad
- Drawing pencils
- Basic student geometry set with protractor and compass
- Other drawing or painting media of your choice