Mixed Media Off The Grid
This is an all-levels mixed media workshop intended to get you out of your head and into spontaneous creative mode. Working on a grid of solid wood panels we will sketch then incise a simple line drawing then apply different grounds to each, (gesso, acrylic medium, collage), then work separately on each panel. This process immediately abstracts our original drawing and frees us to concentrate on process rather than outcome. The wood substrate offers a wide range of texturing possibilities as we further explore brush handling, collage, metallic leaf and resist techniques through the addition and subtraction of various media. Further opportunities and surprises present themselves when we finally reconfigure our panel arrangement. This workshop offers a unique approach to understanding the elements of colour, composition, texture, contrast and design with lots of room for exploration and discovery... plus it's really FUN! The materials fee is for wood panels.
The $30 materials fee includes the pre-cut and pre-sanded panels. In addition, students should bring:
- Sketch book and pencil/eraser.
- Charcoal or 4b or 6b graphite sticks.
- White and black gesso.
- Fluid acrylics (Golden or Demco): Fluid acrylics are recommended over heavy body acrylics although these will suffice. Recommended colours: titanium white, pthalo turquoise, quinacridone magenta, quinacridone nickel azo gold, napthol red light or other medium red, medium yellow, raw umber, red oxide, ultramarine blue, cobalt teal, yellow ocher.
- Staywet palette. (Or make your own)
- Brushes suitable for acrylic and/or watercolour.
- Matte medium gel and any other acrylic based gels or mediums you wish to experiment with.
- Pencil crayons, oil or water based pastel crayons, coloured markers, inks etc.
- Collage materials such as paper or fabric scraps, sand, etc.
- Gold leaf (optional).
- Sanding block.