Felting I: Basic Techniques and Fundamentals
This two-weekend workshop will introduce students to needle felting as well as basic wet felting in 2-D and 3-D modalities. Participants will explore how various fibers such as silk topping, milk-fiber, alpaca, and merino interact with one another and harness these inherent qualities through the process of felting.
- Learn how to needle felt.
- Learn the fundamentals of wet felting and Nuno felting.
- Learn how to incorporate needle felting with other felting modalities.
- Learn how to wet felt with a resist.
- Learn how to create a 3-dimensional felt structure.
- Learn how to incorporate different fibres and materials to achieve a variety of effects in their works.
- Experiment with a variety of approaches without concern about the final outcome.
- Create an independent project that incorporates at least two felt modalities and or other textile processes such as stitching, embroidery, beading.
The $120 materials fee includes a screen, felting needles, a foam block, wool roving, silk-fibre, milk-fibre, yarn and embellishments, fabric, and the use of tools and accessories during the workshop. Students should also bring:
- Pantyhose legs, knee highs, or big rubber bands.
- Bath towel.
- Shear fabric that your breath can pass through for Nuno felting, such as silk or cotton such as cheesecloth. Some synthetic materials also work, but the more natural fibres felt best and faster.
- Various size needles for sewing, embroidery and beading (optional).
- Thread, embroidery floss (optional).