Copper Etching, Texturing and Colour II
Instructor: Miranda Jones
9am-5pm Saturday and Sunday
Room 117 Williams Building
$235 plus $150 materials and toolkit
Prerequisite: Copper Etching, Texturing and Colour I or any Silversmithing class
In level ll, the focus will shift towards designing and planning to create one or more finished pieces. We will look at sequencing, texturing, and shaping in more detail and introduce cold connections using tube and wire riveting. This will include making your own rivets and joining more than one layer of metal using copper, brass and silver wire and spacers. We will also continue our explorations into etching and colour on these three metals using patinas and prismacolour pencils.
- ESSENTIAL: SAFETY GLASSES. All students should have comfortable safety glasses or overglasses. Because our face shapes vary, safety glasses are best purchased individually for fit (if not for style!). These MUST be worn when handling power rotating tools and chemicals.
- Optional: Optivisor. This jewelers magnifying visor is not essential but is highly recommended for anyone who is seriously interested in jewelry making. These can be purchased at Razortop Industries in Martensville.
- Gloves: We will supply disposable neoprene gloves but if you have a favorite personal pair of non slip gardeners gloves please bring these.
- Work apron. A heavy cotton or soft leather apron to protect your clothes from splashes and stains and to catch small bench bits.
- Masking tape (painter's tape) or packing tape or black electricians tape.
- Sketch book and pencil or pen.
- Sharpie markers. Fine and medium point
- Any previous work you wish to share or objects you wish to bring to help inspire your creativity... for example, sea shells, leaves, seed pods etc.
- Prismacolour pencils (For day two, not essential but bring them if you have them).
- Fluid acrylic paints and fine watercolour brushes. (For day two, also not essential but bring them if you have them.)