Drawing II: Figure and Portrait
Instructor: Craig Berry
10 weeks: September 26 to November 28
Location: In person Williams Building room 319
$375 plus $60 for live models
Prerequisite: Drawing I or equivalent experience
This class will focus on practical figure drawing methods in order to strengthen the students observational and drawing skills as they pertain to the human figure and portrait. Emphasis will be placed on gesture and structure to develop compelling drawings. Students learn tools to develop proper proportion, basic anatomical landmarks, building form through 2D and 3D shapes and an introduction to basic modelling of form in light and shadow. The instructor will provide demos and individual critiques. Students will be introduced to great figurative works both past and present.
- Introduction to measuring and proportion of the figure.
- Gesture and structure: basic landmarks for figure drawing.
- 2D Drawing strategies: alignments, angles, triangulation, shapes, C-curves, S-curves, zig-zags.
- Linear/tonal approach to figure drawing.
- Box logic, understanding form as it pertains to the figure.
- Short pose figure drawing.
- Basic rendering strategies, 4 types of lighting the figure.
- Long pose figure drawing.