Pen and Ink Fundamentals
Instructor: Robin Adair
5 weeks: January 10 to February 7
$200 (supplies not included)
This 5 week course offers introductory techniques and methods with a variety of ink pens. We will explore the expressive capabilities of the pen and ink medium while building upon foundational principles in drawing, including pattern and texture, contour line, and light and shadow. We will approach a variety of subjects such as landscape, still-life, human and animal portraiture, and abstraction. This course is open to artists of all skill levels who want to develop creatively in a supportive environment where individual expression is highly encouraged.
- Shading and rendering 3 dimensional planes with layering and cross-hatching
- Depicting the human form with contour line
- Representing landscape with line and pattern
- Abstract design and imaginative representations of the natural world
- Animal portraiture
- Graphite pencil — 2H
- 2 fine-tipped felt pens — Pigma Micron pens with 05 and 08 tips are recommended
- 2 felt calligraphy (chisel-tipped) pens — Pigma Micron pens are recommended
- 1 brush pen — Pentel Pocket Brush pen is recommended.
- 3 ballpoint pens (blue, black, and red)
- Set of fountain pen nibs and holder.
- 1 Pad of Bristol Board or Mixed media paper (9x12)
- Bottle of permanent black India or Sumi ink — Yasutomo is a recommended brand
- Small drawing sketchbook (8x10 or smaller) — for those of you who like to sketch on the go. Strathmore is a good brand; I also like to use the Moleskine drawing journals
- Small set of coloured Copic brand markers