Earth, Sky and Watercolour Landscape Painting
Instructor: Alison Montgomery
5 weeks: April 14 to May 12
$200 supplies extra
Prerequisite: Watercolour I or equivalent experience
In this introduction to painting landscape, students will become familiar with materials and techniques while creating several landscape paintings. In the process of learning about landscape elements such as how to capture the sky, trees, water etc., students will also explore colour theory and practice elements of composition including cropping, creating a focal point, and working with natural light. Each class will feature critique, discussion, and demonstrations
- Practice color mixing.
- Practice techniques suitable for painting landscape.
- Practice drawing landscape elements.
- Explore the fundamentals of composition.
- Complete several paintings.
Palette: Watercolour six space mixing palette (plastic hinged) Recc: as big a palette as you can find.
- 1 or 2 #16 WC brush (Princeton round)
- 1 or 2 #20 WC brush (Princeton round)
Paint: (any professional brand, I use Daniel Smith)
- Ultramarine Blue
- Cerulean Blue
- Hansa Yellow Light
- Hansa Yellow Med
- Permanent Alizarin Crimson
- Quinacridone Rose
- 2 sheets of: 22 x 30 300lb Cold Press (I prefer Arches) watercolour paper (paper will be torn to size during first class)
- And or/ Fabriano 140lb cold press watercolour pad
- 2B pencil(s) & small pencil sharpener
- small art gum eraser
- 2 large binder clamps
- 2 -500 ml plastic water containers
- I large water jug
- 1-2 old tea towels; roll of paper towel.
- One large painting/drawing board
- Images of landscapes that you would like to work from, ideally printed on 9 x 11 – I will also provide lots of images.