The Gordon Snelgrove Gallery is named in honour of Gordon Snelgrove (1898–1966), a painter and professor in the Department of Art and Art History. Reputed to be the first art historian in Canada to receive a PhD in his discipline, Snelgrove travelled across the province as an itinerant art history teacher before his appointment at the University of Saskatchewan in 1939.
The gallery is located in the Murray Building with the Department of Art and Art History and is both a teaching facility and a public gallery. It provides a venue for new work, public talks, residencies and short-term studio space for artists, curators and collectives within the department, across campus and the broader arts community. The gallery is managed through the University of Saskatchewan Art Galleries and Collection and is a significant player in the local arts ecology. The Snelgrove’s intensive and diverse program of events positions it as a major site of direct exchange for artists and public.