Co-op internships are available to MA Economics students upon enrollment in the MA Economics with co-op designation degree. Internships are intended to complement study terms with work terms and to provide students with hands-on experience. Such internships are valuable for students seeking Canadian work experience and for students planning to enter the job market upon completion of the program. Companies participating in co-op internships gain an opportunity to observe students in the working environment. Such companies gain a first-mover advantage in the hunt for talent.
MA Economics with co-op designation
- The program is open to any MA Economics student with 70% GPA. There is no enrollment fee.
- Each co-op placement is for 4 months (or 12-17 weeks)
- At least one placement is mandatory for the degree
- Co-op internship experience is an integral part of the program leading to the “MA Economics with co-op designation” degree.
- A student can participate in a maximum of 3 co-op terms with the same or different employers
- Co-op terms start in January, May, or September
- Students can participate in consecutive co-op terms, or can alternate between study and co-op terms
- Students on co-op terms register in Econ 987.0 Co-op Internships course and pay differential tuition. Students also required to maintain registration in Econ 990 and Econ 992 (or Econ 994)
- At the end of each co-op placement, students are required to submit a written report to receive a credit for Econ 987
- International students must obtain a Co-op Work Visa: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/intern.html
- The first co-op placement can take place in May of the first year of studies, provided all required coursework is completed
- Co-op terms can not exceed 50% of the time in the program
- Reallocation costs are responsibility of students unless the host organization covers such costs
- Co-op internships are full-time (37.5-40 hours per week) and paid by host organizations according to the market conditions.
Need more information? Please contact
Interested in recruiting MA Economics students?
You can post job opportunities on the USask Student Employment and Career Centre Employer Portal HERE