September admission deadline: January 15
Only complete, paid applications will be considered by the Sociology Grad Studies Committee.
There is no January admission.
MA Program: BA Honours degree in Sociology is required with an average of at least 75%
PhD Program: A completed MA degree with a background in Sociology
Application Procedure can be found by clicking here
Before you start, you will need to have ready:
- The names and email addresses of your referees *Please take care to enter the correct email address on the application
- Education history from all post-secondary institutions you have attended. Copies of transcripts from all post -secondary institutions will be required.
- Visa or MasterCard for online payment of $90 application fee. This is non-refundable and your application will not be processed until payment is received. *The secure online payment screen will only appear once so make sure you are ready with your Visa or Mastercard.
Paying online with credit card is the preferred payment method, and will ensure the quickest processing of your application. If are unable to pay online with credit card, you may choose one of the following options (please note that these options will result in longer processing times for your application):
A) If you are unable to complete your credit card payment online, but still wish to pay with credit card, you can submit a Credit Card Payment Form The Credit Card Payment Form can be faxed to 306-966-2115, or mailed to Student and Enrolment Services, 105 Administration Place, Saskatoon SK, Canada S7N 5A2.
B) If you do not have access to a credit card, the $90 fee may be paid in Canadian dollars by cheque, money order or bank draft. These may be made payable to “University of Saskatchewan" and submitted to: Student and Enrolment Services, 105 Administration Place, Saskatoon SK, Canada S7N 5A2.
All prospective students are required to upload the following documents:
- All Post-Secondary Transcripts must be uploaded. These must be clear copies (front and back) and seperate for each degree. Do NOT send original official transcripts during the application process;
- Three confidential letters of reference (at least two academic referees). When you apply online you will be asked to provide email addresses for your chosen referees. Once you submit your application the system will auto-generate a notification to your identified referees with a link to a fill in a form. Once they submit this form it is emailed directly to the Department of Sociology;
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) Be sure to include start and end dates for all degrees conferred and indicate if the degree is in progress or complete. Include conference presentations and publications;
- Letter of Intent, including a statement of research interests. The letter should outline your academic background and other relevant information, as well as your proposed area of graduate research, identifying as much as possible, such as your research problem, theoretical interests, and proposed data sources or methodological approach. The letter should be 1-2 pages for M.A. applicants and 5-6 pages for Ph.D. applicants. The letter is an important means by which the Graduate Studies Committee can determine the extent to which the proposed research can be accommodated within Department programming and to ensure appropriate supervisory resources are available. The letter of intent is also a useful means by which faculty members can identify students whose work may be eligible to be supported through research grants and other external forms of funding;
- Evidence of proficiency in English (required for applicants whose first language is not English). For more information, please see the university language requirements webpage for further details and a list of eligible documentation;
Please note that all documents must be uploaded and the application complete by January 15. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Barb, Sociology Graduate Secretary
The Department of Sociology
Graduate Studies Committee
University of Saskatchewan
1019 - 9 Campus Drive
Saskatoon, SK S7N 5A5