The Department of Indigenous Studies offers a graduate program leading to the Master of Arts (M.A.) degree. A department prospectus on the program is available on request. Admission requires an Honours degree in native studies. However, students from allied social science or humanities areas, or from other fields where there has been a focus on Indigenous peoples, will also be considered.
**Please note that the Department of Indigenous Studies will not have a graduate intake for the 2015-2016 academic year.
a minimum of 18 credit units in course work, which must include the following credit and non-credit courses:
- NS 802.3 Applied Indigenous Studies Research Methods
- NS 803.3 Theoretical Issues in Native Studies
- NS 990.0 Seminar (for one year)
- NS 994.0 Thesis Research – Students must maintain continuous registration in the 994 course
- GSR 960.0 Introduction to Ethics and Integrity
- GSR 961.0 Ethics and Integrity in Human Research (if applicable)
Applications are due by February 1 for the following academic year, which begins in September.
Please consult the College of Graduate Studies and Research website at www.usask.ca/grad to complete the online application.
Send an information package to the Department of Native Studies at the address listed below. This package should include:
-A two-page proposal outlining:
- Your proposed area of research;
- A summary of your research plan;
- The Indigenous Studies faculty member that you would like to supervise your project and the reasons why you want them as a supervisor; (it is a good idea for you to contact the potential supervisor to discuss your research project)
- Other potential committee members in the Department of Native Studies or at the University of Saskatchewan;
- Graduate courses that you plan to enroll in; and,
- Financial support that you have (or plan to) apply for.
-A writing sample;
-Three letters of recommendation (completed online by referees);
-Official transcripts sent directly from the issuing institution;
-$90.00 application fee made payable to the College of Graduate Studies and Research (you will have an opportunity to pay the application fee by credit card when you complete the online application).
Dr. Robert Alexander Innes
Department of Indigenous Studies
130 Kirk Hall, 117 Science Place
University of Saskatchewan Saskatoon,
SK S7N 5C8 Phone: 966-2197