International Students


Preparing to travel to Canada

There are several things you should do in preparation for traveling to Canada and beginning your program:

  • Contact the Canadian embassy in your area to begin the application for a student visa.  You can find information about this process at the International Student and Study Abroad Centre's website as well as through the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.
  • Arrange travel and accommodation.  You should pre-arrange accommodation, temporary or permanent, before you travel to Saskatoon.  You will find more information on our page regarding on- and off-campus housing.
  • The International Student and Study Abroad Centre (ISSAC) is a very helpful place for new international students and can provide you with information about moving to Canada and settling into the University community. 
  • Review ISSAC's pre-arrival guide.
  • Upon arrival in Saskatoon, ISSAC can provide transportation to international students who are beginning their studies at the University of Saskatchewan. A taxi will take you from the airport, train station or bus depot to your pre-arranged accommodation. ISSAC can also provide you with a free first-night's accommodation at a hotel. To access either of these services, please submit the online request form two weeks prior to your arrival in Saskatoon. Click here to submit a request.

Arrival and registration

ISSAC's arrival guide provides information that will be helpful to you as you settle in Saskatoon.

You do not need to register for any classes before you arrive in Saskatoon to begin your program.  If you wish to do so, however, or need to do so for any reason, please contact the graduate secretary for instructions and information.

You must arrive for the new graduate student orientation and teaching assistant training by the date specified in your acceptance letters.  If you are unable to arrive by this date, please discuss this with your supervisor immediately.